The Horn of Africa is one of the most complex and conflicted regions of the world. Each of the countries of the Horn—Somalia, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Djibouti and Sudan—suffers from protracted political strife, arising from local and national grievance, identity politics and regional rivalries. In recent times, there have been series of positive developments in the region which pose both opportunities and challenges for ongoing political and change processes. The goal of the Centre for Humanitarian Dialogues project is to support these processes’ focus on peace and security by facilitating track I and II dialogues between key actors on internal political issues and challenges. The aim is to facilitate and strengthen ongoing positive national and regional peace and security developments in the Horn of Africa countries which HD is currently engaged.
Starting date: April 2023 – Initial 12 months (renewable)
Reporting to the Anglophone & Lusophone Africa Programme Regional Director, the Country Manager will have the following responsibilities:
- Support the day-to-day management of project activities including:
- Monitoring the political situation in specific regions and developments relating to Horn of Africa project and the impact on the respective project(s), as well as research and analyze subjects related to the project(s);
- Supporting the organisation and co-ordinating project meetings, including the conceptualisation and formulation of meeting agendas as well as the drafting of meeting reports and mission notes;
- Contributing ideas and suggestions on the project including the preparation of project work plans and calendars and the implementation of project activities;
- Manage all financial aspects of the projects including budgets under the supervision of the SPM;
- s/he maintain and strengthen links with related parties and partners, including donors; liaise with high level external parties;
- Oversee the management of donor grants including:
- Reviewing, formulating and managing budgets;
- Preparing internal and donor-related project reports (narrative and financial) in consultation with the relevant point persons;
- Managing the administrative aspects of the project including consultants’ contracts, outputs, invoices, travel, etc.
- Prepare project and fundraising concept notes, proposals and narrative/review reports;
Additional project support:
- Undertake assessments and explore possible new initiatives;
- Carry out research and analysis on subjects related the project;
- Help identify, pursue and manage new mediation work in the region;
- Represent and promote HD in different contexts to parties and outside audience in the region;
- Maintain a good working knowledge of the facts on the ground;
- Any other tasks as requested by the Regional Director.
The successful candidate should have:
- A minimum of 8-10 years of work experience in conflict resolution or a related field.
- Understanding of project management
- Post-graduate study or equivalent by experience in conflict resolution, international relations, development studies, international humanitarian law, gender, peace and security or other related fields
- Experience with a regional or international organization preferred
- Excellent written skills (English required, French preferred)
- Experience of and sensitivity to communicating with multicultural and diverse audiences (including senior government officials, politicians, opposition groups, national and local NGOs and conflict-affected communities
- Contextual knowledge and understanding of the Horn of Africa region
- 8-10 years of experience in a similar function in the Horn of Africa region and internationally
- Understanding of and experience in peace and security issues
The successful applicant should:
- Good interpersonal skills;
- Sense of confidentiality
- Excellent representational skills
- Ability to multi-task
- Proactive and self motivated
If you are interested in this position and meet the above-described qualifications, please send your resume (maximum 2 pages) with a short cover letter by February 23rd 2023 to email@example.com HD is an equal opportunity employer.