Starting date: January 2024 – 12 months (renewable)
The current political climate in Sudan has evolved drastically and based on these new developments, HD has initiated a project to support the ongoing efforts to restore peace and support the development of an inclusive political process in the country. Under the new project, HD seeks to help in facilitating broad-based analysis among critical stakeholders, providing institutional support to relevant stakeholders, as well as supporting political dialogue and mediation.
Reporting to the Country Manager and the Regional Finance Manager, the Finance Officer will have the following responsibilities:
Recording and reporting
- Process all transactions in the accounting system on a daily basis, with a clear description as per HQ standards and processes;
- Ensure monthly tasks are performed in a quality and timely manner according to HQ’s deadlines and instructions.
- Ensure, together with Finance and Admin Associate, vouchers are properly presented, stamped, numbered including all relevant & required approval signatures and any relevant and required supporting documents as per HD policy and donor contracts;
- Ensure that copies of cheques / proof of transfer are always attached to the voucher as a supporting document to prove payments;
- Ensure, together with Finance and Admin Associate, proper filing and archiving of payment vouchers, monthly liquidation reports according to HD policies;
- Control the integrity of the transactions to be posted before submission to the Regional Office in Nairobi;
- Support project and cost centre managers to ensure the integrity of project reports (internal & external);
- Ensure accurate preparation of project financial reports and forecasts;
- Overseeing field office and partners on cash transfers, general bookkeeping, etc.;
- Prepare documents and assist during the statutory and project audits.
Payments and cash
- Check approval and prepare request for cash payments, cheque / transfer, to be submitted to the Country Manager;
- Prepare cash requests for submission to HQ & bank reconciliations for all bank accounts on a monthly basis,
- Process cash payments and record expenses in the office report as per HD accounting rules on a daily basis;
- Ensure payments to suppliers are performed in a strict but swift manner, in accordance with HD policy;
- Ensure petty cash boxes are properly handled and cashbooks maintained on a daily basis by the PCF custodian and perform cash count on a monthly basis;
- Review all petty cash transactions on a daily basis;
- Ensure adequate follow-up of staff, consultants and partners’ working advances and reconcile suppliers, consultants and employees accounts on a monthly basis;
- Ensure accurate preparation of monthly financial reports and mandatory government reports/remittances.
- Ensure timely payment of all relevant taxes according to local legal;
- Control and process expense claims as per HD travel policy and train staff and consultants on filling in HD expenses claims;
- Ensure full compliance with audit and internal control requirements;
- Travel to field, as needed, to give finance/admin support to project activities;
- Review (sometimes do the preparation as needed) contract, purchase order and abstract of quotations of suppliers;
Closing, audit and internal controls
- Support monthly/quarterly accounting close and year-end HD and local office statutory close in a timely manner;
- Prepare monthly/quarterly journal entries related to prepaid expenses, depreciation, holiday accruals, etc.;
- Prepare all journal entries for reclassifications
- Perform monthly or quarterly balance sheet accounts reconciliations, vendor balances and payable taxes reconciliations;
- Support the preparation of accrual files as per HD rule and liaise with project and costs centre managers accordingly;
- Liaise with HQ Accounting Manager for technical questions;
- Perform all internal controls as per HD Internal Control System (ICS) and specific instructions received from the RFM or HD Head of Finance ;
- Train and coach finance staff in field office and of partners;
- Provide help and support to the Country Manager in the areas of logistics, administration and HR in times of heavy workload or during absence of the Finance and Admin Associate;
- Any other specific tasks upon request from the Supervisor.
The successful candidate should have:
- Degree in Finance and Business Administration or related field with 5-7 years of experience. With at least 2 years of experience in non-for profit, UN or international organisations.
- Professional course certification: CPA
- Excellent excel skills
- Proficiency in accounting software particularly Microsoft Dynamics Business Central (BC)
- Experience with accounting audits
- Strong accounts analytical skills
- Attention to details.
The successful applicant should have:
- Good communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills.
- A team player, also with the ability to work alone and unsupervised.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work under pressure.
If you are interested in this position and meet the above-described qualifications, please send your resume (maximum 2 pages) with a short cover letter by 3rd November 2023 to email@example.com
HD is an equal opportunity employer. For more information, please visit www.hdcentre.org