Start date: As soon as possible
HD’s mediation efforts in Iraq aim to promote the stability of the country through inclusive and sustainable dialogue between local actors and the Iraqi Government.
The Project Officer will contribute to Iraq projects by supporting the Project Manager both substantively and administratively, closely following up the implementation of the project and monitoring the projects’ compliance with the strategic framework and internal procedures and policies.
Reporting to the Project Manager, the Project Officer will have the following responsibilities:
Provide support for the strategic development of HD’s work in Iraq as well as mediation and dialogue processes:
- Identify – with the team – arising opportunities and mediation entry points, and assessing the extent to which they align with HD’s mandate;
- Contribute to the political analysis generated by the Iraq team and taking part in internal and external political briefings;
- Together with the PM, maintain and strengthen links with related parties; and
- Represent and promote HD in different contexts to parties and outside audience in the region and in Europe.
Provide support for the PM in the management of the project:
- Support the PM in coordinating the day-to-day management of the projects, including all operational aspects of the projects, administrative, security, financial issues and contact with donors;
- Oversee the day-to-day work and deliverables of the Iraq Political Advisors, in addition to local consultants inside and outside Iraq;
- Develop and strengthen monitoring and evaluation processes in the team, including reporting standards and consistency of commitments with the donors;
- Foresee operational and reputational risks in a proactive manner, and addressing them either individually or jointly with the team; and
- Ensure projects are implemented and reported on a timely and high-quality manner.
Provide support for the PM in the management of the grants:
- Keep an up-to-date overview of operational matters in respective projects, resolve or report challenges to programme delivery; anticipate future requirements and development needs;
- Act as the programmatic focal point for internal and external donor-requested requirements, and lead the process of preparing and/or reviewing narrative and financial progress and final reports;
- Manage Iraq budgets, including the day-to-day overview of expenditures as well as budget forecasts and budget reviews requested by donors, in close coordination with the Finance Officer;
- Monitor and evaluate the projects according to HD project lifecycle model;
- Draft project/fundraising proposals including concept notes and narrative project proposals; and
- Support assessment activities and the development of new projects, including: elaborating fundraising documentation for new projects, liaising with the financial focal points in managing assessment budget, and supervising consultants.
Maintain an overview of overall implementation of activities:
- Under the review of the PM and the Deputy Executive Director, draft, review and update the Security Guidelines for all trips to be undertaken in Iraq; follow up closely with all team members that they comply with the security guidelines and procedures for each trip;
- Contribute to the organisation of meetings and events in Iraq and abroad in collaboration with the respective Logistics Associates/Coordinators;
- Contribute to the conceptualisation and formulation of meeting agendas, concept notes, draft meeting reports and mission notes for all the different meetings attended; and
- As a member of the MENA team, carry out visits to the region and Europe when needed and maintain a good working knowledge of the facts on the ground.
- Master’s degree in a relevant area, such as international relations, law, history, political science or equivalent in years of experience;
- Knowledge of and commitment to conflict resolution and addressing humanitarian issues with at least 5 years of related experience;
- Very good knowledge of Arabic and a strong command of written and spoken English are mandatory;
- Structured, analytical and well-organized;
- Ability to work with short deadlines and under stressful conditions;
- Strong knowledge of the region and its politics.
Personality: The successful applicant should possess good interpersonal and organizational skills. A flexible team player, s/he must be detail-oriented with the ability to multi-task under tight deadlines.
If you are interested in this position and meet the required criteria defined above, please send your resume and a cover letter in a single PDF file by 17 September 2023 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “Project Officer – Iraq” in the subject line of your e-mail.
HD is an equal opportunity employer. For more information, please visit www.hdcentre.org