Location: Geneva or remote
Starting date: Oct. 1st 2023
Overall purpose of the position
The Project Officer will contribute to the development and implementation of HD’s Syria project by supporting the Project Manager on operational, strategic & programmatic, administrative, and monitoring levels.
Duties and responsibilities
- Operational (or Project) Management Support
- Support the Program Manager coordinating the day-to-day management of the project; including the planning, implementation and monitoring of activities, security, financial issues and donor relations.
- Maintain regular contact with the project team members in Geneva and in the region;
- Keep an up-to-date overview of operational matters, resolve and report challenges of program delivery. Ensure the creation of a coherent narrative for the various Syria related projects;
- Monitor the political and security situation, developments relating to the conflict, and impacts on the project; research and analyse subjects related to the projects:
- Oversees the team’s compliance with financial and administrative deadlines.
- Contribute to the consultants’ contractual arrangements by drafting Terms of Reference (ToRs) and contracts, and verifying expense claims:
- Draft, review and update the security guidelines and mission ToRs for trips undertaken in Syria and Iraqi KRG; follow-up closely with all team members on compliance with the security procedures for field trips; do security checks with team members while travelling to Syria and Iraq;
- Proactively share information with the PM, and ensures a 360-degree view on operational matters.
- Strategic Development Support
- Advise on the team’s mediation approach and initiatives, including on the structure of HD’s initiatives, sequencing of engagement and communication with regional interlocutors, and playing an active role with the team in translating those to concrete operational activities;
- Identify – with the team – arising opportunities and mediation entry points, and assessing the extent to which they align with HD’s mandate
- Draft project/fundraising proposals including concept notes and narrative project proposals;
- Contribute to the political analysis generated by the Syria team and taking part in internal and external political briefings;
- Draft project/fundraising proposals, budgets and narrative/review reports.
- Ensure timely implementation of the projects and reporting.
- Monitor and evaluate the projects according to HD’s lifecycle and donors’ M&E models.
- Conceptualise and formulate meeting agendas as well as draft meeting reports, minutes of meetings and mission notes.
- Follow-up with the team and gathers the reporting of HD meetings.
- Represent and promote HD in different contexts with conflict parties and outside audiences in the region and in Europe; and support HD’s relationships building with stakeholders;
- Support the PM and the team, with maintaining and strengthening links with related parties, including donors and external parties;
- Carry out visits to the region and Europe when needed and maintains a good working knowledge of the facts on the ground;
- Support the organization and facilitation of meetings, workshops, and events.
- Master’s degree in a relevant area, such as international relations, law, history, political science or equivalent;
- 5 years of Experience in conflict resolution/mediation and the humanitarian field;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Research and analytical skills;
- Advanced English writing and oral skills;
- Fluency in Arabic (MSA / Levant dialect is a definite plus;)
Interpersonal skills needed for the position:
- Strict sense of confidentiality;
- Extremely reliable;
- Excellent team player;
- Able to work under pressure and meet deadlines;
- Able to work on multiple tasks at once;
- Committed to HD’s work ethics and fundamental principles;
- Contributes to the creation of a safe and fair work environment;
To apply, please send your CV and a motivation letter in a single PDF file to email@example.com by August 15th 2023. Please include “Project Officer Syria” in the subject line of your email.
HD promotes equal opportunities in employment.