HD works with all parties to the conflict to de-escalate tensions, reduce the risks of conflict and establish a conducive environment for peace negotiations. The Project Officer is responsible for working closely with the Project Manager/Senior Associate and other HD staff to ensure that all Balkan projects are kept on track and are running smoothly.
Fixed-term contract for 12 months
(Consultant – 100%)
Starting date: January 2023
Working under the direction of the Project Manager/Senior Adviser, with the Regional Director and with other HD Staff in Eurasia and in other practices, the Project Officer will:
• Oversee and coordinate operations of multiple projects in the Western Balkans;
• Draft annual and interim reports for donors;
• Oversee and manage the budget on a routine basis with the regional Finance Officer;
• Draft monthly reports for HD;
• Draft concept notes and work on all aspects of proposals, including concept, logic, activities, risk mitigation, and budgets;
• Identify consultants inside and outside of HD to work on different areas in projects and draft their terms of reference:
• Participate in project meetings;
• Lead the project in the absence of the Project Manager/Senior Adviser;
• Ensure that project – bilateral, national, regional – activities are implemented;
• Follow the political and diplomatic situations in each Balkan country and relevant external powers – Kosovo, Serbia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Croatia, Slovenia, Turkey, Russia, EU and EU governments, US;
• Prepare and deliver briefings on the conflicts and context of the conflict;
• Maintain contact with interlocutors on matters related to the project;
• Collaborate with other parts of HD to ensure projects are completed successfully;
• Create presentations and reports to communicate project status;
• As needed, organize and manage activities, including workshops, Tracks I.5 and II meetings, and trainings.
• Demonstrable problem-solving project management experience and skills;
• MA in international relations, public policy or related field or requisite experience;
• Fluent professional knowledge of BCS (Bosnian-Croatian-Serbian) is required; knowledge of Albanian is recommended; and familiarity with Macedonian and Bulgarian is recommended;
• Minimum 7 years past experience in project management and leadership;
• Strong interpersonal and team leadership skills;
• Flexibility, creativity and resourcefulness in finding solutions to emerging challenges and problems;
• Reliable and trustworthy, capable of working with a broad range of stakeholders;
• Strong organizational, time management, and verbal and written communication skills;
• Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously;
• Proficiency in appropriate Microsoft Office tools;
• Proficiency in project management tools;
• Familiarity with the social, cultural and political contexts in the Balkans;
• Network of professional contacts throughout the Balkans.
If you are interested in this position and meet the above-described qualifications, please send your resume (maximum 2 pages) along with a short cover letter in a single PDF file by 11th December 2022 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “Project Officer – West Balkan” in the subject line of your email.
HD is an equal opportunity employer.