HD is a not-for-profit private diplomacy organisation founded on the principles of humanity, impartiality and independence which works to prevent, mitigate and resolve armed conflict though dialogue and mediation; HD mediates between governments, non-state armed groups and opposition parties to reduce conflict, limit the human suffering caused by conflict and facilitate the development of opportunities for peaceful settlements. HD also helps to build the path to stability and development for people, communities and countries through peacemaking projects around the world. HD operates from headquarters in Geneva with decentralised regional and local offices worldwide.
As part of HD’s Compliance programme HD seeks an experienced Data Protection Specialist to evaluate HD’s compliance with data protection laws, especially in light of the revised Swiss Data Protection Act effective September 2023.
The short-term assignment (estimated at 30 -40 % for up to 6 months, to be agreed) would provide support to HD’s Legal & Compliance Advisor and HD’s Head of IT & Digitalisation for a review of HD processes, policies and solutions in view of Swiss and other applicable laws impacting the HD International Network. The role would include:
- Working with internal stakeholders to map HD’s data and related processes from a legal and information systems perspective
- Proposing a draft register of processing activities and potential solution improvements and/or changes
- Developing language for updating HD’s Data Protection and Privacy Policies
- Reviewing HD’s data processing agreements for data management out of Switzerland
- Preparing training materials to roll-out HD’s revised Data Protection Compliance programme
The successful candidate is likely to have a profile that includes:
- Good knowledge of data privacy and data protection laws and regulations for compliance with Swiss law as well as information systems processes and best practices
- Experience working with organisations with an international network or group structure, especially in the INGO or similar sector
- Higher education qualifications in Law or Compliance, especially Data Protection Compliance. Certifications such as IAPP or similar would be an asset
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and interpersonal skills, as well as a high level of flexibility and adaptability to changes
- Commitment to high quality delivery, proactive approach and capability to work independently
- High motivation, readiness to work in a challenging and dynamic environment and willingness to contribute in a team culture
- Ability to work pragmatically and focus on areas of higher risk
- Proficient in English and ability to work in French, excellent communication and presentation skills with varied stakeholders
The assignment will require some in-person presence in Geneva however much of the work can be done virtually.
The successful candidate must have the right to work as a consultant in Switzerland. Remuneration/Professional Fees shall be proposed in accordance with HD internal policies.
The consultant will report to HD’s Legal & Compliance Advisor. If you are interested in supporting HD with this work, please send your proposal, including a full resumé of experience and skills, to email@example.com by 24 April 2023. Please include “Application for Consulting Services – Data Protection Specialist”.